October edition we bring to you Aubergine Biriyani
2 Aubergines (diced into 2cm cubes)
2 cups Basmati Rice
1 medium Onion (diced)
1 tsp Butter
1 tsp smoked Paprika powder
½ tsp Cayenne Pepper
Salt to taste
Chopped coriander for garnishing
Oil for greasing the pan and eggs
- Toss the aubergines in smoked paprika and cayenne pepper.
- Add oil to a pan and heat on a medium heat and add the onions and sauté for 3 minutes or until transparent, then add the aubergines and cook until soft and set aside.
- Wash the rice on warm water and set aside for 10 minutes.
- In a pan add ¾ of water to boil and add the rice to cook 2/3 way and drain it in cold water.
- In an oven proof dish grease, with butter and add half of the boiled rice and layer it.
- Add the aubergines and set as the middle layer and add the remaining boiled rice as the top layer.
- Cover with foil and bake at 100 degrees.
- Fry the eggs with either a runny or dried yolk.
- Toss the biriyani, garnish with coriander, and serve with a fried egg on the top.
- Serve with raita (chopped cucumber)
by Kiran Kaur